Who else can help

If you live, work or study in the Australian Capital Territory, there are a number of oversight bodies that may be able to assist you if you have a complaint about a government agency, or the provision of a public service.

You should try to make a complaint directly to the relevant organisation first, as they may be able to resolve your issue more quickly. Our website has some tips and advice on how to do this effectively.

If this is not successful, you feel uncomfortable or are unable to approach the agency directly, the table below is designed to help you seek further assistance to resolve your complaint in the ACT.

You can also talk to us at the ACT Ombudsman if you are unsure about who to approach. We will try and help direct you to the right place.

If you are unsure who to contact, call us on 02 5119 5518 and we will help you identify the appropriate organisation.

Organisations who can help with your complaint

The following guide outlines organisations who can help you with your complaint in the ACT.



Who to complain to

Aged care

Respite, home maintenance

ACT Human Rights Commission

Aged care facilities

Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission

AviationAirlinesAirline Customer Advocate
Aircraft noiseAircraft Noise Ombudsman


In the workplace

Worksafe ACT

Children and youth


ACT Human Rights Commission


ACT Human Rights Commission

Abuse and misconduct

ACT Ombudsman

Consumer goods

Consumer law

ACT Fair Trading

Online shopping, misleading claims

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
CorruptionACT PolicingAustralian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity
ACT GovernmentACT Integrity Commission

Defence Force

Administrative matters, abuse

Commonwealth Ombudsman

Disability services

Home help, respite, accommodation, education

ACT Human Rights Commission


Accommodation, housing, education, employment, transport etc

ACT Human Rights Commission

ACT PolicingAustralian Human Rights Commission


Tertiary education: CIT, UC

ACT Ombudsman

Private education

Commonwealth Ombudsman

VET student loans, VET Fee-Help loans

Commonwealth Ombudsman

Primary, secondary education

ACT Human Rights Commission


ACT environment and sustainability

Commissioner for Sustainability and Environment


ACTEWAGL, Energy Australia

ACT Civil & Administrative Tribunal


Banks, superannuation

Australian Financial Complaints Authority


Hospitals, medical centres doctors, nurses,

ACT Human Rights Commission

Health insurance

Commonwealth Ombudsman

HousingReal estate agentsAccess Canberra
Tenancy and rental issuesLegal Aid ACT


Visa’s, detention, customs

Commonwealth Ombudsman

InsuranceHome and contents, car, travel, ticket, pet, medical indemnity, sickness and accident, strata title, small business, farm and life insuranceAustralian Financial Complaints Authority
Private health insuranceCommonwealth Ombudsman
Workers compensationFair Work Ombudsman

Overseas students

Complaints about private education providers

Commonwealth Ombudsman

PetsDangerous dogsAccess Canberra

Police and legal system

ACT LawyersACT Law Society

ACT police

Commonwealth Ombudsman

ACT Judges

ACT Judicial System

Postal operator

Australia Post, Star Track etc

Commonwealth Ombudsman



Office of Australian Information Commissioner


Telephone, mobile, internet

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman


Action buses

ACT light rail

ACT Ombudsman


ICON Water

ACT Civil & Administrative Tribunal


Public interest disclosures about an ACT government agency

Public Sector Standards Commissioner

Complaints about the Public Sector Standards Commission response to a public interest disclosure

ACT Ombudsman

Workplace rights

Workplace rights for young people

Young Workers Centre Advice Service

Veterinary services

ACT veterinary services

ACT Human Rights Commission

Victims of Crime

Victims of crime

ACT Victim Support