The ACT Ombudsman works with agencies to ensure they comply with their obligations under the Freedom of Information Act 2016.
Guidelines for government agencies on implementing the FOI Act
To help ACT Government agencies interpret and administer the FOI Act, the Ombudsman is developing a series of guidelines.
The following guidelines are now finalised:
- Freedom of Information Guideline 1 of 6: Open Access Information (October 2019)
- Freedom of Information Guideline 2 of 6: Informal Requests for Government Information (October 2019)
Another four guidelines on the FOI Act will be published in 2019 on the following topics:
- public interest considerations
- processing access applications
- amending personal information
- reviews and complaints.
Apply for an extension of time.
If you need to apply to the Ombudsman for an extension of time to process an application, please use this form.
Ombudsman FOI review decisions
Freedom of Information Forums
Throughout the year the Office holds forums for FOI officers working in ACT Government agencies. These forums provide FOI officers with guidance on how to implement the FOI Act.
At the forums you will hear presentations from FOI experts and learn from their experiences. The forums are used to consult on the development of Ombudsman FOI Guidelines.