The ACT Ombudsman works with agencies to ensure they comply with their obligations under the Freedom of Information Act 2016.
Guidelines for government agencies on implementing the FOI Act
To help ACT Government agencies interpret and administer the FOI Act, the Ombudsman has developed a series of guidelines. These will be published as notifiable instruments shortly.
- Freedom of Information Guideline 1 of 6: Open Access Information (October 2019)
- Freedom of Information Guideline 2 of 6: Informal Requests for Government Information (October 2019)
- Freedom of Information Guideline 3 of 6: Dealing with access applications (November 2019)
- Freedom of Information Guideline 4 of 6: Considering the public interest (November 2019)
- Freedom of Information Guideline 5 of 6: Amending personal information (May 2020)
- Freedom of Information Guideline 6 of 6: Ombudsman reviews (May 2020)
Apply for an extension of time.
If you need to apply to the Ombudsman for an extension of time to process an application, please use this form.
Ombudsman FOI review decisions
Freedom of Information Forums
Throughout the year the Office holds forums for FOI officers working in ACT Government agencies. These forums provide FOI officers with guidance on how to implement the FOI Act.
At the forums you will hear presentations from FOI experts and learn from their experiences. The forums are used to consult on the development of Ombudsman FOI Guidelines.