Organisation-related child protection
The Reportable Conduct Scheme aims to improve child protection within organisations in the ACT.
The scheme requires certain organisations who work with children to:
- report allegations of child abuse and misconduct to the ACT Ombudsman
- develop policies and procedures to prevent and respond to child abuse.
The Ombudsman provides support and practice guidelines to help organisations do this.
If organisations suspect criminal conduct, they must also report to the police.
What is reportable conduct?
Reportable conduct covers allegations or convictions of child abuse or misconduct toward children. Organisations must report allegations of reportable conduct by an employee or volunteer, including:
- ill-treatment of a child (such as emotional abuse or use of force)
- psychological harm
- misconduct of a sexual nature
- sexual or physical offences and convictions where a child is a victim or is present
- inappropriate discipline or not protecting children from harm.
For more information see the ACT Ombudsman Practice Guide No. 2: Identifying Reportable Conduct.
Which organisations are in the scheme?
Organisations covered by the scheme are called designated entities and include:
- all ACT directorates
- health services
- kinship and foster care organisations
- residential care organisations
- government and non-government schools
- religious bodies
- child care services
- education and care service providers, including after school care.
Organisations providing services to children that are not covered under the scheme include:
- sporting clubs
- organisations which provide instruction in a particular activity (e.g. ballet, piano, swimming)
- Scouts and Girl Guides
The scheme does not cover personal arrangements such as babysitting or private tuition.
Reportable Conduct for Organisations provides an overview of organisation responsibilities
Reportable Conduct Resource Kit contains detailed information including guidelines, definitions, forms and brochures.
Information sessions about reportable conduct are run throughout the year. These sessions are for leaders and managers of organisations. Registration is required. To register please email your name, email address, organisation and positional title to email@example.com. Below is the list of upcoming session times:
- Monday 10 February 2020 – 10am till 12 noon
- Monday 11 March 2020 – 10am till 12 noon