Public Housing

The ACT Ombudsman can investigate complaints about public housing in the ACT. This may include complaints about:

  • requests to move properties
  • allocated housing not meeting your needs (for example, required medical services are not available in the area, or you cannot access parts of the property due to a disability)
  • maintenance issues.

You can make a complaint via our online complaint form or call us on 02 5119 5518 (option 1).

What we cannot help you with

We will not investigate a complaint when:

  • a more appropriate agency can assist
  • the matter has been considered by a Minister or has been before a court or tribunal.

If we decide to not investigate your complaint, we will explain the reasons why.

See Who else can help for a detailed list of other complaint-handling agencies.

Before you make a complaint

Before making a complaint to the Ombudsman we ask you to try and resolve the issue with ACT Housing. Our investigations can take more time.

For advice on how to approach an agency, see our guide Resolving the issue yourself.

If the agency doesn’t fix your problem or is taking too long to fix it, you can contact us.

How to get help with making a complaint

If you need support to make a complaint call us on 02 5119 5518 . We will do our best to help you.

You can call us on our dedicated Indigenous number 1800 060 789 or you can use our Indigenous language interpreter service.

If you are a non-English speaking person, we can help through the Translating and Interpreter Service (TIS) on 131 450. You can visit our brochures page for information in many community languages.

If you are hearing, sight or speech impaired, please use the National Relay Service:

  • the speak and listen number is 1300 555 727
  • for TTY call 133677

Phone calls to the ACT Ombudsman from the Alexander Maconochie Centre are free.

How to complain

You can make a complaint via our online complaint form or call us on 02 5119 5518.

When writing your complaint keep it simple and stick to the facts. Be as specific as possible about dates, names and other important details. Make sure you include:

  • a description of your issue, incident or decision
  • dates of events and contact with the ACT Housing
  • who was involved including witnesses
  • details of telephone conversations or meetings
  • reference numbers you received when dealing with the ACT Housing
  • evidence such as photographs or medical records
  • steps you have already taken to sort out the problem
  • what outcome you would like to see as a result of your complaint.

The ACT Ombudsman has an assisted referral policy in place with Housing ACT, to help resolve complaints as quickly as possible. You can find the policy here.

How we have helped

Property maintenance

A person contacted our Office in distress wanting to make a complaint about their Housing ACT property which had high levels of mould. They were also concerned the structure of the house was being undermined by water damage.

In response to our investigation, Housing ACT engaged an engineer to look at the person’s house. The engineer found the behaviour of one of the neighbours was potentially undermining the structural stability of the property. ACT Housing concluded it was possible this was being done deliberately to harass the person.

As a result of our investigation, this person was placed on a priority housing wait list and was rehoused in a suitable property by Housing ACT. Housing ACT is assessing what action will be taken in relation to the damage to the property.